Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hurry Up and Relax!

After my Grandma's funeral this past week, I returned to work on Monday to give my 4-week notice for maternity leave. Instead, they gave me the option of just leaving and being put on short term disability until the baby comes... spending the rest of my pregnancy doing whatever I want without having to worry about work.

Kind of a no-brainer!

In a normal situation, I would feel weird about this - as if I were milking the system. However, with the work environment the way it is (i.e. everyone laid off!) I don't really feel that badly. Not to mention the fact that this pregnancy has seen a fair number of stressors, both good and bad:

1. Getting married
2. Renovating the house
3. Getting laid off
4. Starting a business
5. Having my Grandpa die
6. Having my Grandma die

So I am officially no longer working.

This is the first time in my life that I've been jobless. It is SO WEIRD! That doesn't mean I'm not busy, though. I've been running around like a madwoman, buying bottles and receiving blankets, mapping out Stroller Fitness routes for my instructors to use and helping Jason with the renovations whenever I can.

I'm also in the home stretch of my pregnancy! My midwives gave me the go-ahead to drink the Ninth Month Tea! I have an appointment with them every week, as well as with my massage therapist and my osteopath. This may sound like overkill, but my hips are messed up and my hands look like sausages right now. I finally had to wrestle my rings off my fingers, and they didn't give up without a fight! My trusty RMT, Tara, helps drain the fluid from my hotdog fingers while my osteopath, Caroline, helps get my hips in line for baby.

I've also put one of my birthday gifts to use. Most people that get spa gifts use them right away, but I've been hanging on to Andrea's birthday gift for 4 months! So I finally made it to Eveline Charles for a facial, a pedicure and a body scrub, all on separate days. My favourite was definitely the facial. I had to leave my pedicure early, so Jason painted the tiny canvasses that are my toenails later that evening!

This baby could come any day now! I have to hurry up and relax!

2 comments:

  1. yay for spa days and good gifts! i am LOL that you think you can relax after the baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick! Hurry up and relax!

    If it's any consolation I think you CAN relax after the baby is born. My friend had her first and I just got back from visiting the new girl in San Francisco. She is lovely, chilled out, and taken care of by friends and family while Mama rests. Hope that works for you - call me if you need a babysitter!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete