Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Baby meets World

A few weeks back, Jason and I went for our 18-week ultrasound. Talk about amazing, we had no idea what a treat we were in for! Usually you see people's pictures and you think that they simply walked in, snap snap snap, and the pics were done. Not at all!


Anybody out there? Posted by Picasa

While taking measurements of the four chambers of the heart, the kidneys and stomach, the femur, foot and humerus, the technician explained to us how they also measure the skinfold at the back of the neck in utero to use as a marker for Down's Syndrome. She also did close-ups of the lips and nose to make sure there was no cleft palate in the wee monkey. We found out the baby measured 15cm around the head (even saw the cerebellum and brain hemispheres) and 14cm around the chest. The spine and ribcage was a thing of beauty, all systems normal.


Flex! Posted by Picasa

Jason and I had both agreed that if anything negative were to come of a result of my bloodwork or the ultrasound, that we would not terminate the pregnancy. I am so glad that we came to that agreement so easily, I can imagine how horrible it would be if a couple did not see eye to eye on the issue. Especially considering how many false positives there are for screening tests for Down's and Spina Bifida, so much stress and emotional upheaval. It almost caused me to not want the screening done in the first place, but Jason and I both agreed that we would want to be prepared.

Luckily, we have been blessed with a healthy baby as far as we know. It was a huge relief to see the monkey moving about, opening and closing it's mouth and hands. And the sex? Well, we didn't plan on asking. Jason didn't want to know and I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret if I found out! But once we got in there, Jason said, "We can't see anything! Does that mean it's a girl???" To which the technician answered, "At this point, we can't really say for certain."

So I still think it's a boy and Jason is convinced it's a girl. Good thing we have names picked out for both!


Yup, that's the foot! 2.57cm Posted by Picasa

As of today, I am in the middle of my 20th week, halfway through! 15lbs, 2 cup sizes and a wealth of new-found back and hip issues, but feeling pretty damn lucky.

3 comments:

  1. :o) What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love ultrasound pics. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete