Monday, February 28, 2005

Summer off?

Have you ever known someone that got so frustrated with their job that one day they just decided to quit? No plan for what comes after, they just said "To hell with it!" and got out?



My boyfriend quit his job of 5 years at the end of January. He worked for a video game company where the games had become increasingly violent and where the overtime hours had gotten out of control. Because he couldn't change the way things were, he decided to leave. I guess his perspective on things is quite a bit different from most people's. I think seeing someone close to you die would really make you think about how you spend your time while you're on this earth.



I think there are a lot of people that feel powerless to change their lives in that respect. Mortgages, spouses, children... All valid reasons to hold on to a job because of the paycheck, the benefits, the stability, or whatever. I've seen people leave my profession seemingly out of the blue - what made them finally crack? What gave them the balls to leave?



I've been toying with the idea of taking a summer off. I wouldn't quit my job, but maybe take more of a sabattical. I don't even know if I would go anywhere, but I could go to Kits pool everyday and swim in the sunshine. Or get out on my bike more. Or run through the UBC endowment lands with Bella and Jason.



I've never taken more than a month away from work. Not since I was in grade 9. School to work to school to work, then work work work. I've travelled all over the world but I've never gone without a paycheck while I wasn't in school. What a weird concept.



I wonder if by doing something like that, I would be seen as a less-valuable person to my employers? Would they recognize that I'm doing it to prevent getting burnt out? How much would it bother me if they didn't? Hm.



Anyhow, getting up every morning with Jason and hearing about how he is going to spend his day is making my head swim with these thoughts. He's not a stressed-out person by any stretch of the imagination, but now there is not a single wrinkle or furrow on his forehead. He is happier than I've ever seen him, just fixing things around the house, taking the dog for runs, training for the next race. He's seeing a career counsellor to figure out his next step, but is relaxing for a few months and grinning like a cheshire cat all the while!



What will it take to finally make me crack?

No comments:

Post a Comment